FIPS compliant openssl possible within the FreeBSD build systems?

jw011235 jw011235 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 6 22:38:23 UTC 2011

On Mar 6, 2011, at 4:22 PM, Simon L. B. Nielsen wrote:

> On 3 Mar 2011, at 18:23, Alexander Sack wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 7:33 PM, Alexander Sack
>> <pisymbol at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hello:
>>>
>>> I am a bit confused!  I am reading the FIPS user guide and the
>>> following document:
>>>
>>> http://www.openssl.org/docs/fips/fipsnotes.html
>>>
>>> I quote
>>>
>>> "If even the tiniest source code or build process changes are
>>> required
>>> for your intended application, you cannot use the open source based
>>> validated module directly. You must obtain your own validation. This
>>> situation is common; see "Private Label" validation, below. "
>>>
>>> Also, the openssl distribution has to match the right PGP keys.
>>>
>>> So to those who are more of Openssl/FIPS experts than I, I have some
>>> basic questions:
>>>
>>> 1)  I assume if it impossible to make a FIPS capable openssl
>>> distribution straight out of the FreeBSD source tree without
>>> "Private
>>> Validation" as defined in the document above? (i.e. you can
>>> certainly
>>> build it this way but you are violating the guidelines for FIPS
>>> Compliance or do the maintainers out of src/crypto/openssl ENSURE
>>> that
>>> the distro in that tree is equivalent to the openssl distro, even
>>> for
>>> PGP key checks?)
> [...]
>> I guess to put things more simply:
>>
>> Is the distribution integrated within the FreeBSD source tree been
>> validated against its PGP keys so it can be built FIPS capable?
>
> For all the imports I did of OpenSSL to the FreeBSD base system
> (which means any OpenSSL import since FreeBSD 7.0), the PGP key for
> the source tar was verified. That said, in the FreeBSD base system
> totally replace the OpenSSL build system and 'manually' apply fixes
> for the OpenSSL security issues we certainly don't build OpenSSL
> unmodified.
>
> I never had a reason to look at OpenSSL FIPS, so I don't really know
> if it's possible to get it working on FreeBSD, but it's possible you
> can manually build and install stock OpenSSL by hand.
>
> --
> Simon L. B. Nielsen
> Hats: Ex-OpenSSL maintainer, FreeBSD Deputy Security Officer

> "

I've been running OpenSSL FIPS for several years now on FreeBSD so
it's certainly possible. It's not terribly hard to compile but I
wouldn't do it through the ports. Download the source ( I used the 0.9
source ) and FIPS instructions and compile by hand.

Certifying your installation through NIST is an entirely different
matter. My company elected to put off the process until we had a
contract to justify the expense and time involved. You'll have to dig
for it, but the NIST website has details on the process.

Best of luck,
Jason Williams