[capsicum] Capability Mode (fwd)

Robert Watson rwatson at FreeBSD.org
Fri Dec 17 19:51:16 UTC 2010

Dear all:

Some of you will have spotted Cambridge's "Capsicum" paper in the USENIX
Security proceedings this summer, and presented previously at the Cambridge
and Ottawa FreeBSD developer summits.  We are in the throes of preparing basic
kernel support for Capsicum to merge to the FreeBSD tree.  This work will
enter the tree in a number of phases -- some will require more architectural
discussion in the FreeBSD community (such as process descriptors), but other
bits (such as capability mode) we'll assume people have been following along
and plan to merge unless anyone screams.

If you're interested in the topic, and in particular, interested in helping us
review and test Capsicum patches as they head in the direction of 9-CURRENT,
please join us on the cl-capsicum-discss mailing list.  You can learn more
about Capsicum, including finding papers and talks to date, and a pointer to a
recording of the USENIX Security talk on the topic, here:

   http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/research/security/capsicum/

You can subscribe to our mailing list here:

Over the next few months we plan to kick off a larger project to explore
applications of Capsicum in other parts of FreeBSD than the ones explored to
date.

A hand-wave at a general schedule for merging various new TrustedBSD-related
features to FreeBSD can be found here:

   http://wiki.freebsd.org/TrustedBSDSchedule

It is very much a hand-wave, however!  (It seems clear already that capability
mode support might well slip to January)

Robert N M Watson
Computer Laboratory
University of Cambridge