Protecting against kernel NULL-pointer derefs

Matt Dawson matt at chronos.org.uk
Tue Sep 15 18:08:18 UTC 2009

On Tuesday 15 Sep 2009 17:07:35 Dag-Erling Smørgrav wrote:
> Pieter strongly implied that there had been numerous such cases, when
> in fact there hasn't.

Yes, DES, it could be read that way and I apologise. Without trying to
wiggle out of that apology, it just seemed a bit harsh when I doubt what
was written was meant as "the code is riddled with these things! RIDDLED!"
given the fact that Pieter proposed a possible mitigation instead of the
expected "El Reg says it's broken! EL REG! Fix it now, goddammit!" ;o)

@All:
Having put both feet in my mouth and had to publicly apologise, we now have
a little more information from Przemyslaw on what is potentially broken and
what isn't (7.2, the current production release). That "probably more to
come," while still vague and very much unverified, makes me wonder if
Pieter's interim mitigation or something very much like it isn't needed
Right Now [TM] as he says. So, is there any technically sound reason why
raising VM_MIN_ADDRESS to 65536 would not be a good trade-off (or even just
a good idea) in security terms until we're sure there are no more of these
lurking? A few of us paranoid security types might want to do so manually
in the interim if there are no objections.
--
Matt Dawson
MTD15-RIPE
matt at chronos.org.uk