rumours of openssh vulnerability

FreeBSD Security Officer cperciva at freebsd.org
Wed Jul 8 00:52:57 UTC 2009

Hi all,

There are rumours flying around about a supposed vulnerability in OpenSSH.  Two
details which I've seen mentioned many times are
(a) that this exploit was used to break into a RedHat system running OpenSSH 4.3
plus backported security patches, and
(b) that "recent" versions of OpenSSH are not affected;
but it's not clear if there is any basis for these rumours.

Given the almost complete lack of information here, there obviously will not be
a FreeBSD security advisory forthcoming until we know more.  As such, I can only
recommend that the standard advice be followed: Use a firewall to limit who can
access OpenSSH; and make sure that you are running a supported FreeBSD release.

If anyone has any concrete information concerning this, please contact the
FreeBSD security team at <secteam at FreeBSD.org>.

--
Colin Percival
Security Officer, FreeBSD | freebsd.org | The power to serve