Any ongoing effort to port /etc/rc.d/pf_boot, /etc/pf.boot.conf from NetBSD ?

Ari Suutari ari at suutari.iki.fi
Fri Jul 14 17:47:39 UTC 2006

Hi,

[I have added freebsd-security to recipient list as I consider
  this issue a security risk]

Paul Schenkeveld wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Fri, Jul 14, 2006 at 01:26:38PM +0300, Ari Suutari wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Does anyone know if there are any plans to bring
>> pf boot-time protection (ie. /etc/rc.d/pf_boot and
>> related config files) from NetBSD to FreeBSD ?
>>
>> This would close small (but as far as I understand existing)
>> window during boot where firewall is fully open (if using only
>> pf).
>
> I'd prefer to have PF_DEFAULT_BLOCK analogous to IPFILTER_DEFAULT_BLOCK
> instead of some magic script closing the hole between driver init and
> configuration.  Always wondered how the OpenBSD -securety minded- people
> have come up with a packet filter that's open by default.

There has been discussion about this before. I know that perfect
solution would be PF_DEFAULT_BLOCK, but while waiting for that
I wonder why we cannot have pf_boot, which closes the
boot hole (at least when run with proper filter rules).

I would suggest:

- first port pf_boot which brings us to same level of security
   as OpenBSD & NetBSD.
- then, work with PF authors to get PF_DEFAULT_BLOCK if it still
   seems necessary.

As pf becomes more and more popular on FreeBSD I see current state
of system as security risk (ie. I won't use pf + FreeBSD on
company firewalls although I would otherwise like to).

	Ari S.