ee using 99% cpu after user ssh session terminates abnormaly

talonz talonz at gmail.com
Wed Sep 7 15:27:23 PDT 2005

Recently i have been using a dialup 56k account to access the net
and have noticed that when my ssh session times out and I am editing
a file in ` ee ' the system goes to 99% cpu usage and stays like
this till the pid is killed.
This is a standard user account (not root/su)

Would a user be able to create a denial of service condition
on the remote system using this bug?

(sorry if this is posted to the incorrect list)

Details:

System - FreeBSD 5.4-RELEASE-p5

ee using 99% cpu after user session terminates abnormaly
PID reported by top.

The output from ps looks like this

[root at blah][~]$ ps aux| grep 70464
someuser 70464 93.5 0.1 1920 1372 p1- R 7:09PM 687:07.27 ee file

Regards Jason M