Problem with portaudit's database

Simon L. Nielsen simon at FreeBSD.org
Wed Sep 7 12:37:19 PDT 2005

On 2005.09.07 15:37:09 +0300, Dmitry Pryanishnikov wrote:

> Hello!
>
> On Wed, 7 Sep 2005, Simon L. Nielsen wrote:
> >>
> >>-r--r--r--  1 root  wheel    5685 Sep  7 10:11 auditfile.tbz
> >>
> >>I don't see commits to vuln.xml during this time, so I suspect auditfile
> >>generation error. Most known vulnerabilities are now unlisted. Please
> >>check
> >>this issue.
> >
> >Hmm, I just ran portaudit -F and got:
> >
> >-r--r--r--  1 root  wheel  29857  7 Sep 13:10 auditfile.tbz
> >
> >Could you try forcing a new download (portaudit -F) to see if it fixes
> >the problem?
>
>  I noticed the problem at 10:15 (using EEST, it's 07:15 GMT); problem
> disappeared approx. at 10:50 EEST. Now audit db is correct again. I just

OK, at least that's good.

> think
> that it's correctness is quite important issue, that's why I've decided
> to post this information immediately.

Indeed, and thanks for doing that!

Once I get a chance I will look more into what exactly is going on
with the portaudit database generation and try to make sure it won't
generate an incomplete database again, or if it does, make sure it
detects the problem.

Should the problem reappear please don't hesitate to let me/us know.

--
Simon L. Nielsen
FreeBSD Security Team