PAM fails to change user password

FreeBSD MailList subscriber at osk.com.ua
Tue Mar 22 07:39:10 PST 2005

Hi, freebsd-security.

I have FreeBSD 5.3-STABLE.
When I try to change user's password (via passwd) I recieve the
following:

passwd: entry inconsistent
passwd: pam_chauthtok(): error in service module
passwd: in pam_sm_chauthtok(): pw_copy() failed

and password stays unchanged.
There are no other errors in the authorization system at all.
Contents of /etc/pam.d stayed unchanged (compared to /usr/src/pam.d)
Permissions:
/etc/group  644 root:wheel
/etc/passwd 644 root:wheel
/etc/master.passwd  600 root:wheel

I have /usr/ports/security/pam_mysql installed, but this problem (as I
remember) was here from the beginning, long before I installed
pam_mysql.
Because of need I created pam.conf with some opts. But if I remove it
and reboot the problem persists.

What could go wrong?

--
Best regards,