Renaming root account

Greg Barniskis nalists at scls.lib.wi.us
Thu Mar 3 14:06:38 GMT 2005

Alec Berryman wrote:
> On our networks we have certainly changed the Windows Administrator
> account's name, but that's mostly because there's no good way to
> remotely log in as an unprivileged user and perform the equivalent of
> 'su -'. [1]
>

> [1] I'm no Windows guru - if there is a way I'd certainly like to know!

Alec, see the URL below re: the "runas" cmd line tool and the "Run
as..." GUI widgetry (the link is probably wrapped and broken):

http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/en/advanced/help/default.asp?url=/windows2000/en/advanced/help/windows_security_runas.htm?id=767

Sorry to everyone else for bringing the site of the beast into this
forum, but this is an important and not well-understood feature of
modern Windows (and the question was raised).

I like to use runas best on the command line, which I find is most
effective with a batch wrapper so I don't have to type in all the
syntax. Never tried using it remotely, but I assume it would work.
The only thing I don't understand is why MS doesn't trumpet this
privilege differentiation feature during the OS installation (like
FreeBSD and others do) so that people could be, like, clueful and
stuff. I guess it'd lower their demand for paid tech support. ;-)

South Central Library System (SCLS)
Library Interchange Network (LINK)
<gregb at scls.lib.wi.us>, (608) 266-6348