Adding OpenBSD sudo to the FreeBSD base system?

Dima Dorfman dd at freebsd.org
Thu Jul 21 10:13:54 GMT 2005

Giorgos Keramidas <keramida at freebsd.org> wrote:
> On 2005-07-19 11:16, Joachim Str?mbergson <watchman at ludd.ltu.se> wrote:
> > My thought was to sync/import the sudo implementation from OpenBSD. Bad
> > idea?
>
> Maybe not so bad if the OpenBSD version of sudo has useful enhancements
> of any sort (i.e. has gone through a thorough security audit, or it
> includes features that are not available through the Ports version,

OpenBSD doesn't have their own version of sudo. The sudo maintainer is
an OpenBSD committer (millert), and if other OpenBSD guys were to make
any enhancements, I expect that the changes would quickly find their
way into the official distribution.

FWIW, I don't see any reason to include sudo in the base system. It's
something that I install on every computer, but I don't mind building
the port or installing it from a package. Unlike some of the other
things I usually want on every system (e.g., emacs), it's small and
doesn't have any dependencies, so it's not a problem to install it as
soon as the system is online. That said, I wouldn't object to having
it in the base, either.

Dima.