Equilivant for a sshchroot file?

Brooks Davis brooks at one-eyed-alien.net
Thu Jan 13 17:51:39 PST 2005

On Thu, Jan 13, 2005 at 05:43:47PM -0800, vvi tech wrote:
> Hey guys I really have made use of the ftpchroot file in /etc but I wonder
> why is there no equivalent of that for ssh and telnet accounts?  Basically
> simply limiting traversing the file system to specific shell users root.

It's a vastly different problem.  With ftp, all you need to do is keep
the daemon and possiably a few external programs working.  With ssh or
telnet, there's little point unless you can keep a set of applications
working.  There are choot patches for ssh avaliable.  Alternativly, you
can use jail(8) to seperate processes from each other.

One (debian specific)writeup on chrooted ssh:

http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/securing-debian-howto/ap-chroot-ssh-env.en.html

-- Brooks