Possible security issue with jails

Micah micah at micah.ws
Tue Jan 11 14:02:50 PST 2005

Howdy!

I'm not sure if this is actually an issue, feature or a bug,  but I have found
that inside a jail, the jailed root user is able to sniff traffic (and enable
promiscuous mode) on at least the interface of the IP address the jail is attached
to.

I have not found any documentation explaining if this should occur or not, but
I feel it is something that should at least be known to those using jails.

Please let me know if anyone knows if this is an error, a problem that can't be fixed,
or if it's designed to be this way.

Thanks!

-Micah