update for 4.11 Security Officer-supported branches

Julian Elischer julian at elischer.org
Mon Jan 10 11:16:37 PST 2005

Jacques A. Vidrine wrote:

>On Sun, Jan 09, 2005 at 04:39:40PM -0800, Christopher McCrory wrote:
>

>>Hello...
>>
>>	In regards to http://www.freebsd.org/security/ , from what I understand
>>the FreeBSD 4.x branch is generally winding down in favor of the 5.x/6.x
>>branches.  It would be nice to know ahead of time if 4.11 will also be
>>an extended release, or if that would fall to 4.12.  For those of
>>running 4.8 (expiring about the same time as 4.11 is released) we would
>>be in a better position to know where to upgrade; 4.10 or 4.11.
>>

>Hi Christopher,
>
>Upgrade to FreeBSD 4.11.  It will be supported through January 31, 2007.
>In all likelihood, there will not be a FreeBSD 4.12.

there will however be a RELENG_4 branch still active for those of us who
need to
continue generating 4.x based releases for ourselves..
I'm assuming security patches goin gto 4.11 will also go there.

While a 4.12 will PROBABLY not happen, I do plan on continued MFCs of
important
changes to RELENG_4 as I do not envision my custommers moving to 5.x
until some
time in 2006 at the earliest. (Including fixes from dragonfly, and
possibly some new drivers
and thing like USB fixes.