IPFILTER_DEFAULT_BLOCK & No route to host

echelon e_chelon at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 29 20:27:39 PDT 2003

Hi,

After the option IPFILTER_DEFAULT_BLOCK is specified at kernel conf on FreeBSD 4.8 stable (cvsup'd
with tag RELENG_4_8), the machine cannot be ping'd by others on the same network.

In addition, the machine cannot ping itself.

ping localhost (or 127.0.0.1) -> no route to host
ping itself with its own ip address -> no route to host

The freebsd box, with an external pppoe connection, is configured as a gateway with nat.
Interestingly, all machines on the lan can access the internet via the freebsd box normally even
though the freebsd box cannot be ping'd from these machines.

The routing table is fine. All these problems go away if I remove the option
IPFILTER_DEFAULT_BLOCK from the kernel conf. I make clean before buildworld/kernel.

Thank you.
e_chelon