Apache under attack and eating resources?

Philip Paeps philip+freebsd at paeps.cx
Sun Sep 28 23:29:23 PDT 2003

On 2003-09-28 19:27:53 (-0700), Avleen Vig <lists-freebsd at silverwraith.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 29, 2003 at 01:59:39AM +0200, Philip Paeps wrote:
> > This might be more related to an Apache-security list, but as the machine
> > is running FreeBSD, I thought I'd ask here first.
> >
> > In the last two weeks, I've been seeing some very strange errors in my
> > logs a few times daily around the same times.  While this happens, load
> > averages go through the roof (I've seen 36+, which is outragous), and the
> > machine becomes very unresponsive.
> >
> > First there's a few million of these:
>
> [snip]
>
> Are you running any CGI's, or other server-side scripts? Bugs in your
> scripts could cause things like this, and make it look like it's apache
> which is at fault.

I forgot to mention I was running mod_php4 from the ports.  I don't think any
scripts changed in the last few weeks, but I'll have a look into it.  Any idea
what kind of script bugs could cause PHP to tear things down like this, other
than the classic loop from hell?

Thanks!

 - Philip

--
Philip Paeps                                          Please don't CC me, I am
                                                       subscribed to the list.

  BOFH Excuse #34:
    (l)user error