unified authentication

Tillman Hodgson tillman at seekingfire.com
Wed Sep 24 13:50:31 PDT 2003

On Wed, Sep 24, 2003 at 03:55:30PM -0400, Jesse Guardiani wrote:
> Well, I'm currently trying to decide between these then:
>
> Kerberos
> RADIUS
> LDAP (OpenLDAP only. I don't have a proprietary LDAP solution.)
> TACACS
> pam_smb, possibly.

These aren't necessarily mutually exclusive.

> I'm ruling out NIS/NIS+ because:
> --------------------------------
> 1.) I'd like something with decent cyptography built in. That's why I conceptually
>     like Kerberos.
> 2.) AFAIK, no Cisco support.

NIS (for authorization info) with Kerberos 5 (for authentication)
provides decent cryptography and wide platform support. Cisco supports
Kerberos.

> Once I get authentication working, how do I handle
> the creation of home directories and basic user
> files across multiple machines?
>
> Do I need to start running NFS, or is there a more
> elegant solution?

OpenAFS, very elegant solution. Unfortunately, it doesn't work on
FreeBSD yet (or anymore as a client).

-T

--
The beauty of the democratic systems of thought control, as contrasted with
their clumsy totalitarian counterparts, is that they operate by subtly