ftp.freebsd.org out of date? (WRT security advisories)

Jacques A. Vidrine nectar at FreeBSD.org
Thu Sep 18 08:01:22 PDT 2003

On Wed, Sep 17, 2003 at 08:40:08PM -0700, Bruce A. Mah wrote:
> I'm not sure what's a good solution to this.  I know that security-team
> is aware of the problem, in fact it came up in the security-officer BoF
> at BSDCon.

I think the end result was that I'm basically willing to manually push
updates to any mirrors to which I have access.   I have been pushing
them to ftp and ftp2, but (as I posted in a recent message), recent
events have mucked this up a bit.

> (One possibility might be to put the advisories on the Web site and
> force an update immediately after an advisory is issued.  I do this
> during the late stages of a release cycle to push out the release
> announcements and release notes.  The problem with this, however, is
> that everyone is conditioned to look to the FTP sites for advisories.)

I wouldn't mind having the advisories and patches live on HTTP also.
It is arguably more convenient for more people.  I wouldn't want
to have to go through CVS first to publish the patches or advisory
however.

Cheers,
--
Jacques Vidrine   . NTT/Verio SME      . FreeBSD UNIX       . Heimdal
nectar at celabo.org . jvidrine at verio.net . nectar at freebsd.org . nectar at kth.se