ftp.freebsd.org out of date? (WRT security advisories)

Jacques A. Vidrine nectar at FreeBSD.org
Thu Sep 18 07:57:59 PDT 2003

On Thu, Sep 18, 2003 at 12:39:47AM +0000, Nielsen wrote:
> It seems (at least for me) the patches on ftp.freebsd.org are out of
> date for the 03:12 security advisory (openssh). ftp2.freebsd.org has
> them fine.
>
> I'm wondering if this is a mirror issue or perhaps round-robin DNS problem?
>
> What compounds the issue is that right now the old openssh 3.7 patches
> are there (on ftp.freebsd.org), but not the 3.7.1 patches (which can be
> found on ftp2.freebsd.org). This could conceivably cause someone to miss
> a patch.
>
> Am i doing something wrong? If not, then this is just a little heads up.
> Perhaps it would be better to include ftp2.freebsd.org links in the
> security advisories.
>
> Hate to complain. The FreeBSD security team has done a great job,
> especially in the midst of this whole openssh mess.

I always manually update ftp.freebsd.org (62.243.72.50) and
ftp2.freebsd.org.  The problem is, it seems, that recently a 2nd
ftp.freebsd.org was added to DNS.  (Seems like a really bad idea to
me, but *shrug*.)  I do not have access to this new machine, and
indeed I'm not sure exactly who runs it.  It is on my TODO list to
find out and ask for a means to run manual updates there as well.

Cheers,
--
Jacques Vidrine   . NTT/Verio SME      . FreeBSD UNIX       . Heimdal
nectar at celabo.org . jvidrine at verio.net . nectar at freebsd.org . nectar at kth.se