md5 salt

Peter Pentchev roam at ringlet.net
Mon Sep 15 23:36:40 PDT 2003

On Mon, Sep 15, 2003 at 06:10:04PM -0400, Charles Sprickman wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was looking at the crypt(3) manpage, and I'm having a hard time figuring
> out what the allowed characters are for the salt in md5 and blowfish
> encryption.  For DES, it clearly states that only numbers, letters and
> digits may be used.
>
> Does anyone know the rules for md5/blowfish salt characters?

Well, a quick websearch on 'Modular Crypt Format', the name of the
password format containing encryption algorithm magic, optional number
of rounds, salt, and password hash, did not really turn up any
standards or papers; maybe others would be more knowledgeable in
this area.  However, I did find a 07/99 post from Kris Kennaway at
http://www.geocrawler.com/archives/3/169/1999/7/0/2467424/ in which
he mentions that the salt is base64-encoded.

The crypt.c and crypt-md5.c files in src/lib/libcrypt/ do not really
pose any restrictions on the salt, short of the obvious one of its
not containing a '$' character :)

I guess going with the base64 characters would be a good bet.

G'luck,
Peter

--
Peter Pentchev	roam at ringlet.net    roam at sbnd.net    roam at FreeBSD.org
If I were you, who would be reading this sentence?