is one of my hosts a scanner?

Michael Sierchio kudzu at tenebras.com
Tue Sep 9 17:42:21 PDT 2003

Bruce M Simpson wrote:

>>IANA *assigns* port numbers 0-1023, and *registers* port numbers 1024-49151.
>>
>> ... it's definitely a bug
>>to use a port registered to another service.
>
> Perhaps you should take it up with Cloudmark, as they maintain SpamNet
> commercially. They may have had good reasons, though, so don't be too
> quick to jump on them for doing it.

I have no intention of taking it up with Cloudmark,  I'm giving up
training people for free.

> One reason I can think of is to be a bit more obfuscated about how the
> SpamNet operates, but given that it's a network for *reporting* spam whose
> components has deterministic behaviour, it doesn't really throw spammers
> off the scent, if they were to sit down and analyse the product.

Shall I speculate why you speculate?  I speculate that they don't know what
IANA is.  For starters.

--

"Well," Brahma said, "even after ten thousand explanations, a fool is no
  wiser, but an intelligent man requires only two thousand five hundred."