multihost master.passwd sync

Gunnar Flygt flygt at sr.se
Tue May 27 12:34:05 PDT 2003

On Tue, May 27, 2003 at 02:04:56PM -0500, Eric Anderson wrote:
> Michael Collette wrote:
> >On Tuesday 27 May 2003 11:30 am, Andy Harrison wrote:
> [..snip..]
> >>
> >>Lord no...  even if you setup a backup nis server, an ailing master server
> >>can really screw up your day.
> >>
> >>I think I thought of a solution though.  root cronjob to pgp encrypt the
> >>file, change perms so that it can be accessed by a user that is allowed to
> >>copy the file to the target host.  The file is in encrypted using the
> >>public key of root the target machine, so only root on the target will be
> >>able to pgp extract the file.
> >

> >Why not just preconfigure SSH keys between the boxes and scp the file
> >across?  Seems like a lot of extra work to bring PGP into the mix.
> >
> >Personally, I'm real curious about utilizing an LDAP backend to replace
> >NIS.  Read a bit about it, but haven't had a chance to play with it just
> >yet.  It sounds like a far more elegant solution for what you're looking
> >to do as well.  Assuming it all works as advertised that is.
>
> I've started this exact process - replacing my NIS gunk with LDAP.. Not
> too far through yet, but I'll try to keep good notes for anyone else who
> may want them..

I've installed 5.1-beta on a box that should do nss_ldap, so that I
don't have to setup any users directly on that server. The ldap
server will be in the corporate network, and the 5.1-RELEASE in
a DMZ as ftp-server.

I'm interested in all input I can get, to get the whole thing going.

> Eric
>

> --

Gunnar Flygt
OPC Data