xdelta files for security patches

Peter Pentchev roam at ringlet.net
Wed May 14 02:09:07 PDT 2003

On Wed, May 14, 2003 at 09:07:24AM +0100, Colin Percival wrote:
> At 00:35 13/05/2003 +0100, I wrote:
> >  Using some form of binary diffs is on my todo list for FreeBSD Update
> >(security/freebsd-update), but it's not a matter of critical
> >importance.  Right now updating from 4.7-RELEASE to the latest binaries
> >takes around 30 MB, depending upon which install set you chose (nocrypt,
> >crypt, kerberos4, kerberos5); good binary diffs would probably reduce
> >this to around 5 MB.
> >  That said, I'm not sure if I would choose xdelta.
>
>   Of course, when I wrote this, I had no idea that I was about to write a
> binary diff/patch utility in 12 hours.  In doing so, I've lost quite a bit
> of respect for xdelta; ok, my code is about five times slower and has a
> larger memory footprint, but it produces diffs 35% smaller and weighs in at
> a massive 281 lines (in contrast to the thousands of lines of code in
> xdelta).
>   I'll be adding this into FreeBSD Update in the near future.  If anyone
> wants the code for other purposes, feel free to contact me.

When I read this thread yesterday, I was going to suggest taking a look
at the rsync code.  Still, it sounds like your code is much simpler than
the rsync algorithm described at http://rsync.samba.org/tech_report/.
This is probably a good thing :)

G'luck,
Peter

--
Peter Pentchev	roam at ringlet.net    roam at sbnd.net    roam at FreeBSD.org
.siht ekil ti gnidaer eb d'uoy ,werbeH ni erew ecnetnes siht fI