OpenSSH-portable <= 3.6.1p1 bug?

Peter C. Lai sirmoo at cowbert.2y.net
Tue May 13 12:05:21 PDT 2003

I think this explains it pretty well: (it's under section 3. of the advisory
you posted).

NOTE. FreeBSD uses both a different PAM implementation and a different PAM
support in OpenSSH: it doesn't seem to be vulnerable to this particular timing
leak issue.

All OpenSSH-portable releases <= OpenSSH_3.6.1p1 compiled with PAM support
enabled (./configure --with-pam) are vulnerable to this information leak. The
PAMAuthenticationViaKbdInt directive doesn't need to be enabled in sshd_config.

Howevever, it lists MACOSX as "unconfirmed". I thought MACOSX used
the FreeBSD ssh implementation.

--
Peter C. Lai
University of Connecticut