xdelta files for security patches

Colin Percival colin.percival at wadham.ox.ac.uk
Mon May 12 16:35:28 PDT 2003

At 01:04 13/05/2003 +0200, Michael Nottebrock wrote:
>Has xdelta (in ports under misc/xdelta) ever been considered as a means of
>delivering binary patches for security updates?
>
>It seems to be a pretty neat.

   Using some form of binary diffs is on my todo list for FreeBSD Update
(security/freebsd-update), but it's not a matter of critical
importance.  Right now updating from 4.7-RELEASE to the latest binaries
takes around 30 MB, depending upon which install set you chose (nocrypt,
crypt, kerberos4, kerberos5); good binary diffs would probably reduce this
to around 5 MB.
   That said, I'm not sure if I would choose xdelta.

Colin Percival