how to configure a FreeBSD firewall to pass IPSec?

V. M. Smith vmsmith at grokking.org
Thu May 1 12:32:56 PDT 2003

Guy:

FWIW, I tried ipfw/natd a few weeks ago but couldn't seem to get it to keep state properly through NAT. Eventually I gave up and turned to ipf/ipnat and have been happy with it ever since.

I thought I read somewhere that ipfw/natd is the more "native" of the two systems and been a part of FreeBSD for a longer time but someone more experienced with the OS than myself can probably shed more light on this. Also, I think ipfw has better application for traffic shaping, if that's a feature you want/need. Some claim you can successfully mix the two simultaneously but I'm not familiar (or brave) enough to try :)

VS

Message: 9