camcontrol sanitize

Kenneth D. Merry ken at FreeBSD.ORG
Thu Jul 27 15:22:17 UTC 2017

On Wed, Jul 26, 2017 at 12:57:40 +0500, Eugene M. Zheganin wrote:
> Hi,
>

> Today I wanted to wipe the all data from one of my disks, so I decided
> to use camcontrol sanitize:
>

> # camcontrol sanitize 12:22:0 -a block
> You are about to REMOVE ALL DATA from the following device:
> pass16: <ATA TOSHIBA THNSN81Q 6101> Fixed Direct Access SPC-4 SCSI device
> pass16: Serial Number         96GS10T2TB4V
> pass16: 1200.000MB/s transfers, Command Queueing Enabled
> Are you SURE you want to do this? (yes/no) yes
> Current sanitize timeout is 10800 seconds
> Enter new timeout in seconds or press
> return to keep the current timeout [10800]
> camcontrol: Unexpected CAM status 0xe
>

> Looks like it failed to do what it should. Was it me issuing something
> bad (while it's not obvious to me), some bug in SCSI subsystem or bad
> equipment ?

CAM status 0xe is a bus reset.  Do you see anything in dmesg that might
shed more light on it?  If you use the -v switch, camcontrol will print out
more verbose error information, and should provide text for the error
number.

What kind of controller are you using?  I'm guessing you are using a 12Gb
SAS controller given what I see above.  What firmware revision is on the
controller?

The drive is a SATA drive, and SANITIZE is a SCSI command.  There are
translations defined in the SAT spec to translate SANITIZE to an ATA
command.  I don't know whether your controller supports those translations
or whether the drive supports the underlying ATA BLOCK ERASE EXT command.

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry
ken at FreeBSD.ORG