'Wiring down' iSCSI devices / stop swapping dev nodes...

Karl Pielorz kpielorz_lst at tdx.co.uk
Thu May 8 18:32:55 UTC 2014

--On 8 May 2014 17:12:24 +0300 Daniel Braniss <danny at cs.huji.ac.il> wrote:

> one solution is to use gpart (8)
> 	gpart create -s GPT /dev/dan
>> 	gpart add -t freebsd-ufs -l d0/p1 /dev/dan
>
> and you can use now
> 	/dev/gpt/d0/p1
>
> which [should] be true whatever iscsi decides to call device.

I hadn't thought of that - mostly because the devices underlying the iSCSI
are already gparted (i.e. the iSCSI target is a GPT partition on an
underlying disk).

I'm just trying it now - looks like it will work (Ok, it's created - I need
to test failure etc.)

Is there any performance hit from having 'GPT within a GPT' kind of thing
going on? - I suppose I could just share out the raw disk (i.e. /dev/daX)
via iSCSI and then there'd be only one layer of partitioning going on...
I'm not sure if that's a good idea or not :)

-Karl