'Wiring down' iSCSI devices / stop swapping dev nodes...

Karl Pielorz kpielorz_lst at tdx.co.uk
Thu May 8 13:45:39 UTC 2014

Hi,

I'm using the new iSCSI stack on FreeBSD 10. Seems to work fine so far -
but I've noticed an issue (which is probably not related to new/old stack).

I have a number of iSCSI targets setup - when they initially connect, they
appear as '/dev/da[6/7/8/9/10/11/12/13]'

However, if the remote node dies - when the iSCSI targets reconnect some of
the drives transpose positions.

I'm not specifically reconnecting them - just bringing the remote back up
(when ctld / iscsid load up) - causes the local node to 'see' the drives
have returned after a while (i.e. I don't run any iscsictl commands or
anything).

e.g. This time round drive previously connected to '/dev/da11' has now
transposed with the drive that was connected to '/dev/da12'

Is there any way I can prevent this? - i.e. by pre-alloctating / specifying
'/dev/da' entries for devices or something?

It's easy to see it happening on this test system as the drives are a mix
of 750Gb and 2Tb - so when a 2Tb switches places with a 750Gb it's pretty
obvious :)

-Karl