SYM8951U sees ch0 but not sa0

Matthias Andree matthias.andree at gmx.de
Fri Mar 28 20:46:48 UTC 2014

Am 28.03.2014 19:58, schrieb Dan Langille:
> I have installed a Symbios Ultra2 32-bit PCI SCSI Adapter SYM8951U in my
> FreeBSD 9.2 system.  Attached to it is a Compaq StorageWorks MSL5026
> tape library.  I have never used this library before, but it was given
> to me by someone who did use it.  It worked at one time.
>
> The system sees the changer, but not the drive.  I've tried swapping the
> SCSI cable and the LVD/SE terminator on the tape library ports.  Same
> result.  After each cable retry, I run 'camcontrol rescan all'.
>
> [dan at knew:/dev] $ ls *sa* *ch*
> ls: *sa*: No such file or directory
> ch0
> [dan at knew:/dev] $
>
> Any ideas?  Suggestions?  Card settings?
>
> I conclude the cable is OK, given that I can get a list of the tapes in
> the library.
>
> The front panel of the library sees the tape drive.  It has a SCSI ID
> assigned.

I haven't much experience with multi-LUN devices, nor tape libraries,
but OTOH I haven't had issues with Symbios (NCR, LSI) controllers + bare
tape drives so far [*]

- Is that drive's ID a separate target ID, or is it a LUN?
  + If it's a LUN, is it <= 7?
  + If it's a LUN, do the SYMBIOS settings permit scanning for LUNs at
all? (Although it's not entirely clear to me from sym(4) if rescan would
scan LUNs.)

- Does camcontrol reportluns help any?

- Can you have the host adaptor's BIOS scan the BUS and report devices
and LUNs and see if that differs from FreeBSD's view of the world?