upgrade to 10.0: lost root fs on LSI 9300-4i

Douglas Gilbert dgilbert at interlog.com
Tue Jan 21 05:04:34 UTC 2014

On 14-01-20 11:08 PM, Sean Bruno wrote:
> On Mon, 2014-01-20 at 19:22 -0500, Douglas Gilbert wrote:
>> So I tried to upgrade from 9.2 to 10.0-release expecting
>> it to find my LSI 9300-4i (SAS-3) HBA that was holding
>> my root file system in 9.2 .
>>
>> Nope, a dismal failure:
>>
>> List of GEOM managed disk devices:
>>

>> mountroot>
>>

>> Sorry FreeBSD, that is just very disappointing.
>>
>> Any suggestions short of a complete re-install?
>>
>> Doug Gilbert
>
> It sort of looks like a device enumeration issue.  Can you post your
> dmesg output from boot?

Hi,
It sort of looks like a driver enumeration issue, as is there
isn't one for the LSI 9300 series SAS-3 HBAs. That family has
been on sale for 7 months and Linux has had a driver (mpt3sas)
for it for 15 to 18 months. LSI themselves did most of the work
and something is available here for FreeBSD:
   http://www.lsi.com/products/host-bus-adapters/pages/lsi-sas-9300-4i4e.aspx
(latest for FreeBSD 9.0)

And you would think freebsd-update might notice that it
was leading a user over a cliff when the driver
supporting the HBA and attached disk including the root
fs had no support in the target version (10.0 in the case).

My solution was to regress to a LSI SAS-2 HBA which is
supported by the mps driver. Do I still need to call
that driver out explicitly in /boot/loader.conf in
10.0 as was done in the 9.* series?

Doug Gilbert