Dropped interrupts

Justin T. Gibbs gibbs at scsiguy.com
Tue Jan 7 18:11:37 UTC 2014

On Jan 7, 2014, at 12:36 AM, Ben Laurie <ben at links.org> wrote:

> Attached.
>
> On 7 January 2014 05:46, Justin T. Gibbs <gibbs at scsiguy.com> wrote:
>> On Jan 6, 2014, at 3:01 PM, Ben Laurie <ben at links.org> wrote:
>>
>>> Not subscribed to the list, so please cc on replies.
>>>
>>> I'm using Bacula with an LTO-2 SCSI drive.
>>>
>>> With increasing frequency lately, I've been getting errors like this
>>> from bacula:
>>>
>>> backup-sd JobId 13092: Error: block.c:608 Write error at 23:6772 on
>>> device "Ultrium" (/dev/nsa0). ERR=Operation not permitted.
>>>
>>> Associated with this, I see in dmesg:
>>>
>>> ahc0: Recovery Initiated
>>>
>>> [a lot of dump info, including…]
>>
>> If you provide the dump info, I may be able to tell you why recovery is starting.
>>
>> The dmesg information from a boot of the system would be good to have too.

The target is keeping us in command phase for some reason.  No parity or other
errors are being reported.  My guess is that the tape drive does not like the command
that was issued for some reason.

Attached are two totally untested/uncompiled changes for you to try out.  The first
should give more information about the command that timed out so we can better
determine if it is well formed.  The second is an attempted fix for spurious
“Interrupts may not be functioning” warnings.  Can you attempt to replicate this
again with these changes?

Thanks,
Justin