Wiring down devices with LSI 2308 / mps?

Karl Pielorz kpielorz_lst at tdx.co.uk
Sat Feb 15 23:59:48 UTC 2014

--On 15 February 2014 14:14:29 -0700 Scott Long <scott4long at yahoo.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The LSI cards keep a persistent mapping of hard drive serial numbers to
> target numbers.  That way, when it’s in RAID mode and you pull a drive
> from one slot and put it into another slot, it’ll recognize that it’s
> the same drive and part of the same array set.  It’s incredibly
> annoying, and once the persistent mapping is created, it cannot be
> cleared just by turning off the RAID mode.  What we do at Netflix is use
> the a tool provided by LSI to clear out the persistent mapping (and all
> of NVRAM, actually), and then turn off the persistence feature.
> Unfortunately, you’ll need to contact LSI directly for this tool.  Once
> you have it, I can share a script that performs the necessary actions.
> Contact me off-list if you’d like more information.

Ha - at least I know it's not me going mad then :)

I'm living with GPT labels at the moment (and labels on the drive caddies)
- if that doesn't work out (it's currently "bearable") I'll tap LSI for the
'magic tools', and drop you an email if they give me a copy.

You're right though it is *incredibly annoying* (especially when you don't
know it's doing it!).

-Karl