aac, and CAM

Shivaram Upadhyayula shivaram.u at quadstor.com
Tue Feb 8 18:39:37 UTC 2011

Hi All,

One of our VTL users has the following setup using a Adaptec 2410SA
SATA RAID card.

aacd0: <Volume> on aac0
aacd0: 238417MB (488279040 sectors)
aacd1: <RAID 5> on aac0
aacd1: 476835MB (976558080 sectors)

This is on FreeBSD 8.1 m/c unchanged and aacp would have been built
into the kernel (as per the GENERIC conf file). camcontrol however
fails to list the devices.

camcontrol devlist -v
scbus0 on ahc0 bus 0:
<>                                 at scbus0 target -1 lun -1 ()
scbus-1 on xpt0 bus 0:
<>                                 at scbus-1 target -1 lun -1 (xpt0)

Interestingly when the user created a Simple Volume he was able to use
the disk for the VTL purpose. Within our software we depend on a disk
to be detected by the CAM subsystem. If camcontrol devlist can see it
we can use the disk.

Unfortunately we don't have the hardware the user has to debug the problem.

Reading the manpage of aac

"The aacp device enables the SCSI pass-thru interface and allows
devices connected to the card such as CD-ROMs to be available via the
CAM scsi(4) subsystem.  Note that not all cards allow this interface
to be enabled."
Does this mean that i can get device files like
(da0,pass0) and if so is it advisable to use the da0 for IO rather
than using say aacd0

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Shivaram

--
QUADStor - Free VTL, NAS, Deduplication and Replication backup
solution on FreeBSD

http://www.quadstor.com