vhba/fake hba

Matthew Jacob mj at feral.com
Sat May 22 03:59:34 UTC 2010

On 5/21/2010 7:02 PM, Alexander Motin wrote:
> Matthew Jacob wrote:
>
>> I've extended my test virtual hba further- it's been incredibly useful
>> for testing stuff.
>>
>> I'd like to put in the tree- but I'm guessing that /usr/src/tools/tests
>> would be the right place.
>>
>> Any thoughts?
>>
> Nice hack framework. But looking on subject, my first thought was that
> it is something like OpenBSD's vscsi(4).

nope, but it could be something like it.

Look- it's just a really simple junction box to add "soft" hardware to a
SIM.

I used it to help sort out some race conditions in configuration, and
I'm now using it to flesh out the REPORT LUNS implementation. It's a lot
quicker to load a kernel module that creates ~10 or so random luns
between 0 and 1024 then it is to fart around with various GUIs to set up
real (and scarce and hard to share) hardware. In fact, it's even easier
to do this than it is to set up target mode, because you can do this on
a box that doesn't actually even have any SCSI hardware.