kern/134488: [mpt] MPT SCSI driver probes max. 8 LUNs per device

Scott Long scottl at samsco.org
Wed May 13 05:10:04 UTC 2009

The following reply was made to PR kern/134488; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Scott Long <scottl at samsco.org>
To: bug-followup at FreeBSD.org, michel.bouissou at bioclinica.com
Subject: Re: kern/134488: [mpt] MPT SCSI driver probes max. 8 LUNs per device
Date: Tue, 12 May 2009 22:59:42 -0600

 Increasing the max_lun number in the code is not the solution.  Which
 arbitrary number should be chosen?  If it's increased to 32, what about
 those who want 64?  What about the problems created for those with older
 hardware that can't handle high lun scanning?  The correct action
 requires a significant amount of code to be written and tested; if it
 were trivial it would have been done already.  I know this response is
 unsatisfying and slightly aloof, and I apologize for that, but right now
 it's easier to ask that admins recompile for this situation than it is
 to tear up the core SCSI scanning code.

 Scott