target mode

Derek VerLee derekverlee at comcast.net
Fri Jun 13 00:56:51 UTC 2008

Hello
I'm curious about what is and isn't possible using scsi target mode in
FreeBSD, both in principle and given the current state of the
architecture.  In particular I am curious if it is possible to use a
scsi card in target mode, to "export" drives, such as a geom array, to
be accessed by another computer over a physical scsi connect.  I believe
this is what iscsi support aims at, however i'm interested in other scsi
interfaces, such as parrellel or perhaps SAS.  Searching the archives
and web somewhat, I have seen other people ask this a couple times but
haven't found a definite answer.

This would be to perhaps re-purpose an older computer, or an inexpensive
one, to act much like an external raid (but perhaps potentially more
flexible).

Is is possible now?  If not, could it be done with some hacking and
coding?   How crazy would you have to be to try?

_derek