isp(4) - setting debug mode flags

Ross westr at connection.ca
Fri Aug 15 16:30:19 UTC 2008

Has anyone successfully set the debug mode flags in the isp(4) drivers
on boot for Freebsd 7.0?

The man page states that setting "hint.isp.0.debug" should do the
trick, but setting it to any value doesn't cause anything to happen.

Checking the code shows isp_pci.c is doing a getenv_int("isp_debug",
&bitmap), which looks like setting that kernel variable should do it,
but still no go.

So I'm wondering if anyone else got it working in the past, and if so,
what did you set for maximum debugging?

(Reason is that I'm trying to track down a bug that causes the kernel
to crash occasionally on boot, in a boot-from-san configuration.)

Cheers,
  Ross.