Adaptec 3405 problems

Ed Maste emaste at freebsd.org
Tue Apr 29 00:48:11 UTC 2008

On Sat, Apr 26, 2008 at 03:28:00PM -0500, Tom Whittaker wrote:

> On both Release and Stable 7.0 The adatec card will start spitting out
> timeout errors then will eventually give a message on the console that
> it can no longer communicate the the card and the machine has to be
> rebooted. I upgraded the bios to build 15728 but still am having issues.

What firmware build were you using before you tried 15728?  I've done a
lot of testing with 3405 / 3805 controllers and haven't managed to crash
the controller.  Most of my testing has been with firmware 12814, which
is admittedly somewhat old.

> there is also a large file called arcerror.txt, I wont include the whole
> thing but the last line is:
>
> Sat 26Apr2008 (tz=0)
> 08:10:21.697145000  arcconf: ArcPhysicalDeviceAttach.cpp: Line #: 745
>                   StorLib::getSystemConfig()
>                       ArcSystem::buildChildren(Ret & retOUT)
>                           ArcAdapter::buildChildren(Ret &retOUT)
>
> ArcPhysicalDeviceAttach::ArcPhysicalDeviceAttach(
> Channel *pChannelIN, ...)
>                                   ArcPhysicalDeviceAttach::setFsaInfo()
>
> ArcPhysicalDeviceAttach::doScsiPassThru()
>                                           *** FSA API Error:
> FsaSendScsiCommand
> () fsaStatus=479 ***

I've seen that as well and have asked Adaptec about it.  They responded
that those errors can be ignored -- they issue SCSI pass through
commands to try to query something from the disk and that's failing.  It
just means that something might not be displayed for a device.

- Ed