tape changer, but not tape drive

Dan Langille dan at langille.org
Mon Apr 28 23:07:18 UTC 2008

On Apr 28, 2008, at 5:14 AM, Julian H. Stacey wrote:

> Dan Langille wrote:
>> I've added a DLT tape library to a system that already had a DLT tape
>> drive.
>>
>> The problem: dmesg shows only one tape drive, the original.  The tape
>> library's tape drive is not showing up.
>
> Years back I heard over lunch (never saw it) of some tape carousels
> (DAT) that had both a scsi & serial interface. SCSI for data flow,
> serial for media selection. Might your selector have another interface
> that needs connecting & probing ?

Brooks Davis suggested connecting straight to the DLT drive and not
to the library.  With that, and a rescan:

[dan at ngaio:~] $ sudo camcontrol devlist
Password:
<DEC TZ89     (C) DEC 1837>        at scbus0 target 1 lun 0 (pass0,sa1)
<QUANTUM DLT7000 1E48>             at scbus1 target 5 lun 0 (sa0,pass1)
<HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-H10A JL02>    at scbus3 target 0 lun 0 (pass2,cd0)

Now.. to get the library working.

--
Dan Langille -- http://www.langille.org/
dan at langille.org