Incorrect geometry with 750G ciss array

Ivan Voras ivoras at freebsd.org
Thu Apr 24 09:03:59 UTC 2008

Kevin Day wrote:

> I've got some new HP DL185 G5 servers, using the integrated RAID
> controller. I'm having trouble finding any geometry settings that the
> 7.0-RELEASE sysinstall is happy with that will result in a bootable
> system though. Any pointers from anyone who has been here before?
>
> ciss0: <HP Smart Array E200> port 0xe800-0xe8ff mem
> 0xdef80000-0xdeffffff,0xdef78000-0xdef7ffff irq 35 at device 8.0 on pci5
> ciss0: [ITHREAD]
> da0: 762977MB (1562578608 512 byte sectors: 255H 32S/T 65535C)
>
> Sysinstall's partition editor comes up with 97266/255/63, but it
> re-complains that it's incorrect after every single keypress in it. If I
> push ahead anyway, I can't boot (hang after pressing F1 at the loader).
>
> Does anyone have a volume of this size working with this controller? Any
> tricks to getting it started?

I don't know about that specific model, but I had similar symptoms with
several Proliants, some of which had the same ciss card, some not, which
are solved by using a different boot loader (i.e. the partitioning is
fine, just the boot loader isn't). Try sysutils/extipl, search the
mailing list archives for details.

Of course, this works for me, YMMV.