Adaptec 3405 does not work with FreeBSD 7.0 Generic AMD64

Ed Maste emaste at freebsd.org
Tue Apr 8 00:15:56 UTC 2008

On Tue, Mar 04, 2008 at 04:36:00PM +0000, Thomas Vogt wrote:

> Hello List,
>
> I've some problem with an Adaptec 3405 SAS/SATA Raid Controller.
> Hardware Release note for 7.0 shows Adaptec SAS RAID 3405 as supported
> controller but it looks like its not supported by FreeBSD 7.0 GENERIC
> 64bit.
[...]
> Logical device number 0
>    Logical device name                      : tank
>    Size                                     : 2858998 MB

The controller is supported in 7.0, but large volume support hadn't been
merged in yet so the driver won't pick up volumes > 2TB.  You'd have the
same issue on i386 7.0 as well.   Large arrays are now supported in both
HEAD and RELENG_7 in CVS though.

Sorry I didn't respond earlier; I wasn't subscribed to this mailing list
until today and hadn't seen your message.

- Ed