kern/103602: drive gets wedged on READ CD CAPACITY if no disc is in

Josh Carroll josh.carroll at gmail.com
Tue Apr 24 16:29:54 UTC 2007

> Here's what I observe here, first with no disk in the drive (the
> important item is sk=02, NOT READY), second with a disk in the drive.

Here is my output (first with no disk, second with). I see sk=02 here as well:

% ./readcap /dev/acd0
ioctl returned error 5 Input/output error
Sense data: error=70 sk=02 asc=3a ascq=00

% ./readcap /dev/acd0
ioctl returned error 0 Unknown error: 0
Sense data: error=00 sk=00 asc=00 ascq=00
LBA of last sector in last session: 185805
Sector size: 2048

So it looks like directly talking to the ATAPI layer works ok here as
well. At least, my results look the same as yours.

> > Interestingly, the sg_vpd command fails to read the serial # as well,
> > so that is definitely a known bug with this drive I think. Here is the
> > sg_vpd output on Knoppix:
>
> OK, so ultimately we might need to include this quirk anyway. We'll see.

I was able to boot into Windows XP and run sg_vpd in there as well,
and it also fails to read the serial number. Just some additional info
on that. :)

Thanks,
Josh