new isp test code/24XX

mjacob at freebsd.org mjacob at freebsd.org
Mon Oct 9 10:12:15 PDT 2006

The 24XX support is going in, yes. That's the reason for the major
rototilling.

And, yes, target mode is part of it. The work is actually being paid for
by a client of mine who needs Linux target mode. I suggested the SCST
package, but since they'd been using my driver in production for just
about 3 years now they wanted to stick with it, so this work has been
being done to accomodate them, and the platform-specific FreeBSD part
should be relatively small.

The current status of the newisp branch:

a) General support: the new fabric/loop code seems to be settling down
to be relatively stable. I still need to implement some policy knobs
that actually specify the amount of time to wait before declaring a
device dead (path failover is part of this effort).

b) The 24XX initiator mode support seems to be pretty stable at this
time. The 24XX target mode support isn't completed yet. I'm now finally
getting CMND IUs coming but still need to connect the dots to process
them.

c) Regression testing:

  + I've validated that at least parallel SCSI/isp still works on sparc64
    on a 1040c. I have no 1280s or 12160s to test with any more.

  + I still need to check FC *and* the 24XX on sparc64

  + I still need to check out SBus/sparc

  + I've tested 2200s and 23XX cards. I don't have any 2100s any more to
test with.

d) Plans

  + Once I check SBus out, I'll probably push newisp into -current to get
some broader exposure. This is likely to happen by the end of the month.

If anyone wants to try this stuff earlier, please feel free and take a
child of the newisp branch (it's locked). I keep it pretty in sync with
-current.