Replacing a Mylex AcceleRAID?

Andrea Venturoli ml.diespammer at netfence.it
Mon Oct 2 03:20:46 PDT 2006

Hello.
A customer of mine is running a 4.x system with 5 or 6 SCSI disks,
operated by the aforementione controller in a RAID5 configuration.

Due to the obsolescence (and soon lack of support) of this version of
the OS, we are planning the upgrade to 6.x and he would like to change
the hardware too. In fact we are not to happy with this card: speed and
stability are very good, but the lack of any tool to manage the RAID
forces us to reboot. Besides, since Mylex seems to have gone out of
business, we must hope that controller never dies, or the disks would
not be accessible any more, would they?

So, I have a few questions:
_ is support for this card (mly driver) improved in newer versions? Is
it working ok even on AMD64 platform? Are there any utilities to manage
it through the OS?
_ how about going with software RAID? AFAIK there are graid3 (which is
not what we want, I guess) and gvinum, but I heard the latter is not
quite production ready and/or the documentation is not finished;
_ any hint or recommendation for a replacement card which will possibly
stay on the market for a while and has an OS management interface?

I know this has probably been asked many times, but things tend to
change over time, so what I found with Google might already be old...

  bye
	av.