NAS w/ multipath

Joao Barros joao.barros at gmail.com
Thu Feb 16 14:37:45 PST 2006

On 2/14/06, Tom Samplonius <tom at uniserve.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 14 Feb 2006, Gary Palmer wrote:
>
> > I suspect higher end devices (e.g. HDS and EMC Symmetrix units) this
> > isn't a problem, but in mid range and lower end stuff I'd expect problems
> > if the paths landed on separate controllers on the array.
>
>    I don't think this is a problem with current mid-range stuff.  A mirrored
> write cache is considered a basic feature.  Not only does a mirrored write cache
> protect against controller cache consistancy, it also protects losing the
> contents of the write cache if a controller fails, which is generally a much
> bigger problem.

The EMC Clarion Series, at least the CX600 model I work with has
mirrored write cache.
In the event of controller failure it is disabled until redundancy is restored.
I had training on an entry level model, a CX300 and the funcionality
was the same.

The Symetrix I bet it has but EMC doesn't let us touch those ;-)

--
Joao Barros