problem with low efficiency of HP Smart Array 6i under FBSD

peceka peceka at gmail.com
Mon Feb 13 02:20:37 PST 2006

Hi,

> > Time of executing this scripts:
> > FreeBSD: 149m 28s
> > Linux: 97m 13s
>
>Well, so Linux is about 33% faster.  That's not an order
>of magnitude.  It could be explained by differences in
>the file system parameters.  By the way, what kind of
>file system did you use on FreeBSD and Linux?  What
>parameters did you use with newfs?

On Linux there is ext3
On FreeBSD is UFS2, made by installer program, so there are standard
parameters in newfs.

>In fact, the difference could also be caused by the
>harddisks not being the same.  And even if they are
>the same models, the location of your test files on the
>harddisk can be different.  Most harddisks are much
>faster when files are stored on the lower cylinders.

Disks are this same, with this same firmware. Except that on Linux
disks are 10k rpm and of FBSD are 15k rpm.

>I don't think the difference is caused by the SCSI code.

We've made exactly the same tests on other machine (devel1) with FBSD:
RAM: 191 MB
CPU: AMD Sempron(tm) Processor 2600+ (1599.83-MHz 686-class CPU)
HDD: ad0: 38166MB <Seagate ST340014A 8.01> at ata0-master UDMA100
Filesystem: UFS2 (with standard newfs parameters)

> freebsd: 149m 28s
> Linux: 97m 13s
devel1: 182s

> freebsd: 2m 41s
> linux: 1m 27s
devel1: 2m 06s

> freebsd: 299,6s
> linux: 214,1s
devel1: 268.3s

> freebsd: 277,2s
> linux: 199s
devel1:  246.2s

In every test it's faster than HP DL380 with SCSI with FBSD disks and
slower that machine with Linux.

So, a think it's a problem with HP SmartArray 6i drivers under FBSD.

Best regards,
p.