configuration choices with Dell CERC (adaptec 2610SA)

user user at dhp.com
Mon Nov 28 05:20:26 GMT 2005

On Sat, 26 Nov 2005, Kenneth D. Merry wrote:

> > > It would be better to let the rebuild happen as fast as possible.  Disks
> > > have a bad habit of failing in groups, and you don't want to increase
> > > the chance of a multi-disk failure by making recovery slow.
> >
> > So again ... only using mirrors ... and in a two-drive chassis, I can't
> > have a hot spare, so I am not sure if it even really matters what I set
> > that to ... comments ?
>
> If you only have a two drive chassis, your best bet is to replace a failed
> drive as soon as you can and let the rebuild complete as soon as you can.

This Dell CERC (adaptec 2610sa) is the first card I have seen with this
rebuild-priority setting.  Out of curiosity, of the three choices I have
(low medium high), which choice approximates the behavior that the older
cards (PERCs, etc.) had that _did not_ give you this choice ?

Thanks so much for your (and everyone elses) great comments on this
thread.