KDying disk

Olivier Nicole on at cs.ait.ac.th
Wed Nov 23 21:39:11 PST 2005

Hi and thanks,

> You'll probably see this block in the grown defect list.  A verify probably
> wouldn't find a problem with that sector, since it was remapped.  To see
> the grown defect list, try this:
>
> camcontrol defects da0 -f phys -G

I did that, the disk does not support the block format of course :(

> > I am afraid that the error message will not be an evidence good
> > enought to claim for waranty :(
>
> Some drive manufacturers have a disk verification utility that will
> generate pass/fail status for a drive.  Sometimes they'll require output

I tried the Seagate tool (as the disk is Seagate) 3 times and find no
error.

> This sort of thing is why I'd recommend some sort of RAID setup for most
> machines now.  The cost of a disk failure in time, inconvenience and

The spare disk is already ordered, it is somewhere in the pipe... I
planned to install RAID before I had the problem, but as the machine
is new I was not expecting that it was so urgent.

Anyway, I installed and run smartclt, and even smartctl gives me some
errors from time to time. So I am considering it could be a problem
with the onboard SCSI controler rather than with the disk <Adaptec
AIC7902 Ultra320 SCSI adapter>. Does that make any sense?

TIA,

Olivier

ufo<root>: smartctl -S on /dev/da0
smartctl version 5.33 [i386-portbld-freebsd5.4] Copyright (C) 2002-4 Bruce Allen
Home page is http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net/

(pass0:ahd1:0:0:0): INQUIRY. CDB: 12 0 0 0 24 0
(pass0:ahd1:0:0:0): CAM Status: Command timeout
Standard Inquiry (36 bytes) failed [Operation not permitted]
Retrying with a 64 byte Standard Inquiry
(pass0:ahd1:0:0:0): INQUIRY. CDB: 12 0 0 0 40 0
(pass0:ahd1:0:0:0): CAM Status: SCSI Bus Reset Sent/Received
Standard Inquiry (64 bytes) failed [Operation not permitted]
A mandatory SMART command failed: exiting. To continue, add one or more '-T permissive' options.