rebuilding an RAID 0+1 disk ( Compaq DL380 with a SmartArray controller)

CP Hennessy cp.hennessy at openapp.biz
Wed Nov 2 13:14:49 PST 2005

Hi,

[I've taken over a system which I did not setup and am new to RAID on FreeBSD,
so please be patient with me :) ]

We have a production server that seems to hang infrequently. The problem
seemed to be related to reading of pages from swap, so I disabled swap and
the problem has not reappeared (yet). When I was finally able to get physical
access to the machine I saw that the led on one of the disks was flashing
yellow, so I suspect that this is the problem.

I will replace that disk and I want to rebuild the mirror on that disk, but do
not know exactly how.

I see that the following drivers :
$ pciconf -lv | grep -B 3 mass
ida0 at pci0:1:0: class=0x010400 card=0x40400e11 chip=0x00101000 rev=0x02
hdr=0x00
    vendor   = 'LSI Logic (Was: Symbios Logic, NCR)'
    device   = 'LSI53C1510 I2O-Ready PCI RAID Ultra2 SCSI Controller
(Intelligent mode)'
    class    = mass storage
--
atapci0 at pci0:15:1:  class=0x01018a card=0x00000000 chip=0x02111166 rev=0x00
hdr=0x00

What do I need to do to add/remove the new disk to the raid configuration ?
How do I rebuild the mirror ?

Thanks
CP Hennessy