Problem with AIC7902 and FreeBSD 4.7, 4.8, 4.9 and 4.10

Don Bowman don at sandvine.com
Sun Jun 6 18:03:15 GMT 2004

From: Robert Heron [mailto:robert at heron.pl]
> Hi,
>
> I have an Intel mainboard SE7501HG2 with integrated AIC-7902W
> controller.
> When I run  FreeBSD 4.7R on this motherboard I get:
>

> When I boot FreeBSD 4.8 / 4.9 / 4.10 from installation CD-ROM
> on the same
> motherboard, the ahd0 and ahd1 devices are detected correctly
> but the system
> hangs up during further device detection. The last message I
> get just before
> hanging up is:
>
> ----------
> pci0: <unknown card> (vendor=0x8086, dev=0x2483) at 31.3  irq 0

Sounds like an IRQ assignment problem in the BIOS?
The unknown card above is an intel device, its probably a normal
message for a device with no driver.
you might try boot -v to see where you are hanging on
the 4.10.

There have been some ahd driver updates since 4.7 that
are reasonably important, you might consider merging
them to the 4.7 branch if you need them, or running 4.10.